The prisons under Maldives Correctional Service follow a privilege-based system when dealing with prisoners – meaning prisoners who follow rules can earn privileges.The privileges may differ at different prisons. These privileges are:
- Seven-minute phone calls twice a month to family and lawyer.
- The minimum and medium security prisoners are allowed to purchase items through funds transferred by family or accumulated through doing allowance-jobs at the Prison (food items, cosmetics/toiletries, radio, TV and DivX players etc)
- Once every month prisoners are allowed to receive a precise amount of clothing via their respective families
- Prisoners can have family and lawyer visits once a month for 01
- For family visits, visitors are allowed up to 10 family members.
Married offenders at Asseyri Prison and Maafushi Prison are also entitled to conjugal visits once a month for 12 hours.