Maldives Correctional Service (MCS) was formed by President of Maldives H. E. Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayyoom on 31 December 2013 under the Prisons and Parole Act 14/2013. Below are the responsibilities mandated to Maldives Correctional Service by the law.
- To operate the Maldivian prison system according to solid procedures
- To build a safe and secure prison environment for offenders
- To provide trainings to offenders in order to teach them various skills
- To help offenders to reform and encourage them to return to the society as a worthy citizen after being released from the custody
- To compile procedures to serving sentences as per the court ruling
- To compile procedures and arrange detention centres for offenders or persons remanded to appear in a court in future, or held in custody for the duration of an investigation of an institution with authority.
There are currently more than 1200 offenders housed at Maafushi Prison, Male’ Prison and Asseyri Prison; the three prisons of Maldives Correctional Service. Also, there are more than 200 illegal foreigners detained at Hulhumale’ Detention Centre.
Though currently there are prison officers and administrative staff working at Maldives Correctional Service, it is important to note that there are opportunities at MCS for prospective staff with educational qualifications in various fields.